The Karen Denney Nursing Scholarship
Karen Denney was a caring and compassionate nurse, who dedicated her 35-year career to patients at McCray Hospital and Parkview Noble Hospital. During her career, Karen was the manager of the OB department for over 25 years, an infection control and employee health nurse, and nursed in a number of other departments. She was an inspiration to many who worked with her, demonstrating an uncommon love for nursing and the patients she treated.
Karen Denney was instrumental in starting the Health Occupations Education (HOE) program. Managed by the Impact Institute, this year-long program introduces and prepares high school students for careers in the health care field, including nursing.
One of Karen’s final wishes before she passed away on February 4, 2007 was to institute a scholarship through the Parkview Noble Hospital Foundation to encourage young people to study nursing. Karen’s unselfishness and concern for others has allowed her to pass on her love of caring, compassionate nursing to a younger generation.
The Karen Denney Scholarship Committee awards a $1,000 scholarship annually to the student who best fulfills the stated qualifications and career aspiration requirements. All decisions of the committee are final.
- Be a current high school senior preparing to enter an accredited nurse's training program with the intent of completing an R.N. program.
- Be currently participating in or have completed the Health Occupations Education program at Parkview Noble and Parkview LaGrange hospitals.
- Have a "B" average or better. Extracurricular and volunteer service activities will also be considered.
- Provide one letter of recommendation from a teacher, an employer, a church or community leader, an extracurricular coach or mentor.
- Provide an official high school transcript showing grades through the first semester or trimester of the senior year.
Applications for this scholarship are closed but will be accepted again February 25, 2019 - March 24, 2019.
For information about this scholarship, please contact Cathy Linsenmayer at email@example.com.